There was no lump -- a Breast Cancer blog

This blog is about my experience with Inflammatory Breast Cancer.
You can learn more about Inflammatory Breast Cancer at
http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/6_2.htm or http://www.ibcsupport.org/

The names of my Doctors have been changed.

 

 

Contact me at Liane58 at gmail dot com
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Radiation -- the next step

"They marked me up like a side of beef," I laughingly told a friend about my radiation simulation, the measurements and preparations for my radiation treatments. Although all the Doctors and technicians were as nice as could be, nevertheless: having three or four white-jacketed scientists standing over me and talking about me, marking me up with Sharpie markers, drawing dotted lines and circles, laying pieces of wire on me (using them as a plumb line? I don't know), shining red light beams on me, tattooing a set of tiny dots onto my skin -- there's no way that all this can be done in a warm and fuzzy or even personal manner. As the staff talked over me, I tuned them out, closing my eyes and breathing deeply. There was some discomfort in all this, as I had to have my arms over my head as I lay on the platform, resting them in stirrups -- which started to feel like handcuffs (my right arm is still sore from surgery, remember). And of course I was naked from the waist up, and they always seem to have it extra cold in places where this occurs (to enhance that meat locker effect?) The platform I was on moved around as they took a series of x-rays that became a 360 degree view of my torso. At the end of this the technician draped a robe over my chest and snapped a Polaroid. Just like at Abu Ghraib, they wanted to have a little photographic memento. When I asked, I was told they just want to be able to match the x-rays with my face. So why not have me smile for the camera?

Next was another CT scan. I'm getting used to this one. I kept thinking they should get artists involved in the design of these big medical machines, to make it a more aesthetically pleasing experience. It wouldn’t impair the function at all. I imagined a CT machine designed by William Morris, and one designed by Peter Max. I guess I should write to GE, the manufacturer?